Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Chapter 1 & 2: Reflective Response



Journal #3: Multimodal Pedagogies and Trajectories of Remixing


While reading Chapters 1 and 2, I found myself intrigued by the use of some technology in the classroom. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the students and how they reacted to these different forms of literacy and text. A’idah, a student in an English class who regularly writes blogs stated, “I hate writing stuff on paper because I feel like my hands can’t keep up with my thoughts when I write on paper” (p. 30). I’m sure many of us can relate to this student! What a wonderful and insightful teacher to take her students’ struggles and turn them into a desire to learn.

I feel that teachers need to not rush to teach material, but to dig deeper into the underlying issues. As an educator, I understand the struggle and the rush to collect grades and to keep a deadline based around your lesson plans and observations. However, I feel that if we truly take into consideration the new digital age that our students are living in and what they are comfortable in participating in, learning the material will come at a quicker pace than originally planned. “When educators are more aware of adolescents’ digital literacies and composing repertoires, they can more effectively marry instructional goals that children and youth need to meet in order to successfully navigate formalized education […]” (p. 35).

In relation to Green’s approach to literacy, the operational literacy practices lies in the ability to understand the constant change in technology and being able to adapt to these new opportunities. The cultural literacy practices relates to the technology that we have available in our classrooms. This creates opportunities for our students to practice these new literacies and use them in their day to day life. Critical literacy practices relates to students having the ability to use these new technologies to their benefit and be proficient in creating and developing their own ideas.

I strive to be an educator who practices new ideas in order to benefit my students. I understand that our society is changing into a digital age and I believe that we need to embrace it. My school district has given each 4-6th grade student an I-pad, and I enjoyed learning some new ideas to keep my students involved. “As youth are engaged in the processes and practices of exploring, making, and remaking their identities […] the role of the educator becomes more complicated and, we would argue, ripe with possibilities” (p. 35).




Lankshear, Colin and Michele Knobel. A New Literacies Reader: Educational Perspectives (pp. 23-56). Peter Lang, 2013. Print







2 comments:

  1. Laura,

    I couldn’t agree more with your point that there is a constant feeling of being rushed, we have deadlines, observations, time frames we need to stay within and it’s hard to take a step back and slow down when necessary. Having students who are digitally literate will hopefully allow for them to absorb the information a little quicker allowing the lessons to move at a quicker pace. Obviously, in due time students will begin to pick up and absorb more information at a quicker pace but learning the practices that work well for your students is the first step in creating that success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    When I read your post, I thought about how important it is for students to feel comfortable with the way they are learning. From my colleagues, I have heard of schools where if students were not taking copious notes from the board and completing mechanical grammar exercises, they were not learning. Thankfully, where I teach we are allowed to use different methods in order to increase student participation. Therefore my lessons often include video or audio clips as well as projects I assign. Once they had to create a skit and make a video which they really enjoyed. I was even impressed by my student's skills in video editing! I plan to keep doing these types of assignments because it helps learning go beyond the classroom.
    -Joysi

    ReplyDelete